This easy almond braid is simple *and* totally scrumptious. Good luck not eating the entire beautifully braided dessert in one sitting!
Post may include affiliate links, which means if you click on a link and purchase something, you won’t pay anything extra but it will help support this blog.
Want to impress guests with a beautiful dessert but don't want to spend a ton of time making one? Try this easy almond braid. You'll not only impress those guests but also their taste buds as well!
I don't know about you, but I heart almond filling. If I see a bear claw, I've gotta eat it. Any baked good with almond paste, almond filling, almond glaze, almond extract, I'm so there. Wrap it up in a pretty package like this easy almond braid and I'm in pastry heaven.
Generally I'm a brownie or cookie kind of gal, but I'll never pass up a delicious almond, cinnamon, brown-sugar mixture surrounded in freshly baked dough. I feel like it would be doing a disservice to dessert lovers everywhere.
Ready to learn how to make this sweet almond braid recipe?
How to Make an Easy Almond Braid
Step 1: Mix butter and brown sugar in a bowl until fluffy. Beat in flour, almond flavoring and cinnamon until smooth. Stir in almonds. Cover and chill.
Step 2: Combine rolls to form a ball and roll into a rectangle. Crumble filling evenly over the dough and make cuts on long sides of dough.
Step 3: Begin braid by folding top and bottom strips toward filling, then braid strips left over right. Finish by pulling last strip over and tucking under braid. Place on a large sprayed baking sheet and let rise. Bake.
Step 4: Drizzle with browned butter icing while warm.
To make it even easier, try using a pizza cutter to make those cuts. I use my pizza cutter for way more than pizza!
I also recommend a quality almond extract. Sometimes store-brand or generic extracts can taste a bit off. And nobody wants on off-tasting almond braid!
Printable recipe for easy almond braid below. Enjoy!
- 12 Rhodes Texas Rolls, thawed and risen
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Mix butter and brown sugar in a bowl until fluffy. Beat in flour, almond flavoring and cinnamon until smooth. Stir in almonds. Cover and chill at least 30 minutes.
- Spray counter lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Combine rolls to form a ball and roll into a 15x10-inch rectangle. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest while almond mixture is chilling.
- Remove wrap and crumble filling evenly over the dough to within 2 inches of all edges. Make cuts 1 1/2 inches apart on long sides of dough to within 1/2-inch of filling.
- Begin braid by folding top and bottom strips toward filling, then braid strips left over right. Finish by pulling last strip over and tucking under braid.
- Lift braid with both hands and place on a large sprayed baking sheet. Cover with sprayed plastic wrap and let rise 30-45 minutes.
- Remove wrap and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Cover with foil the last 5 minutes, if necessary, to prevent over browning. Drizzle with browned butter icing while warm.
- Lightly brown butter in a small, heavy skillet over medium heat. Do not burn.
- Remove from heat and blend in powdered sugar, milk and almond flavoring until mixture is smooth.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 332Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 227mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 3gSugar: 18gProtein: 6g