When you don't have the time for classic chicken enchiladas, try these layered chicken and black bean enchiladas. Quick, easy, and delicious!
If you've been a Half-Scratched fan for a while, you know I'm all about easy variations on potentially time-consuming recipes. And if they're Mexican-themed recipes like layered chicken and black bean enchiladas, even better!
I mean, why take the time to fill and roll tortillas when you can simply layer them like in my favorite easy chicken enchiladas. Even when I make enchilada-style burritos, I find shortcuts like using a rice mix and rotisserie chicken for the filling.
One of the best things about layered chicken enchiladas—or layered enchilada casserole—is all the different ways you can mix things up! If you don't like black beans, try pinto beans. Prefer Mexican cheese blend to colby jack? Go for it!
You can even amp up the spiciness by using a hot enchilada sauce and throwing in a few diced jalapenos.
While we usually have tacos every Taco Tuesday, I like to rotate in other Mexican recipes. Enchiladas with black beans and chicken is one I slip in. Other favorites include Instant Pot Cafe Rio sweet pork, baked chicken chimichangas, and everyone's favorite: tater tot nachos!
If you're serving chicken and black bean enchiladas to a crowd, you'll want to start your meal with copycat Chili's salsa and easy chorizo cheese dip. Remember to serve those enchiladas with some Instant Pot Mexcian rice on the side!
Ready to make layered chicken and black bean enchiladas? Here's how easy it is!
How to Make Layered Black Bean Enchiladas
Step 1: Combine chicken, cilantro, black beans, and chilies in a medium bowl and mix well.
Step 2: Spoon some enchilada sauce on bottom of baking dish. Place tortillas over sauce. Spoon chicken mixture over tortillas and sprinkle with cheese. Spoon more enchilada sauce and some of the sour cream randomly over cheese. Repeat layers.
Step 3: Bake.
That's it! Easy peasy!
This layered enchilada recipe calls for an 8x12-inch casserole dish.
I'm pretty sure you need to pair an easy dinner with an easy dessert. Our latest family faves include no bake peanut butter s'mores bars, applesauce crunch cake, and easy brookies (brownies + cookies—seriously THE EASIEST dessert ever!).
Printable recipe for layered chicken and black bean enchiladas below. Enjoy!
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (4.5-oz) can chopped green chilies
- 1 (10-oz) can enchilada sauce
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 ½ to 2 cups shredded colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 (8-oz) container sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8x12-inch (2-quart) glass baking dish with nonstick spray; set aside.
- Combine chicken, cilantro, black beans, and chilies in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of enchilada sauce on bottom of baking dish. Place 4 tortillas over sauce, overlapping if necessary. Spoon half the chicken mixture over tortillas and sprinkle with ½ cup of cheese. Spoon half of remaining enchilada sauce and half the sour cream randomly over cheese. Repeat layers and cover with foil
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Uncover and sprinkle remaining ½ cup cheese on top. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 293Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 375mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 21g