This recipe for Hello Dolly bars calls for six simple ingredients, three easy steps and 10 minutes to prep. The result is a bar cookie that is soft, chewy, and highly addictive!
I find it totally crazy I've never made Hello Dolly bars before last weekend. I mean, these bar cookies require minimal dishes (two if you're thrifty) and about 10 minutes max to make; that's already a win in my baking book. But even better, every ingredient on the list—and there are only six—is something I keep on hand, and I bet you have the same items in your pantry too!
These one-pan Hello Dolly bars have a layer of buttery graham cracker crust (Honey Maid are my go-to grahams) topped with walnuts, chocolate chips, shredded coconut (I love Baker's coconut), and sweetened condensed milk (Carnation is my fave).
I used semisweet chocolate chips but you could try a mix of peanut butter and chocolate chips or even butterscotch and chocolate. They come closer to being seven-layer bars the more fun stuff you add. To make crushing the graham crackers easier, I prefer using a meat pounder rather than a rolling pin. I find it does as good a job, if not better, and is much more efficient at relieving stress.
This recipe has you pour the entire can of sweetened condensed milk over the top. I find that the easiest, but I've seen recipes where you pour half on the crust, top with the rest of the ingredients, and then finish with the remaining sweetened condensed milk. That's one extra step, and who's got time for that when all you really want to do is eat half the pan of Hello Dolly bars?
- ½ cup salted butter, melted
- 10 graham crackers (full sheets), crushed
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 15 ounces sweetened condensed milk, (1 can)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pour melted butter into pan. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs evenly over melted butter; gently press to form crust. Top with walnuts, chocolate chips, and coconut. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over the top.
- Bake 25 minutes or until edges are golden brown and bars are set. Let cool completely before serving.
- Note: For easy graham cracker crushing, place crackers in a gallon resealable bag and use this meat pounder to crush into fine crumbs.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 221Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 100mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 4g