Scotcharoos Cheerios bars are an easier, healthier alternative to classic scotcharoos. I guarantee your taste buds will be pleasantly surprised!
Being the huge Cheerios fan I am, I thought it fitting I come up with a Cheerios cereal bars recipe. Of course, I'm also a fan of peanut butter and chocolate, so it was a logical step to go from plain ol' Cheerios cereal bars to Cheerios bars with a scotcharoos vibe.
Good thing Cheerios have more protein, fiber and whole grains and less sugar than Rice Krispies because I ate more than I'd like to admit.
At least I waited until after the photos...
These scotcharoos Cheerios bars may seem like they have a lot of ingredients, but it's your basic rice krispies treats recipe with a bit of creamy peanut butter and some chocolate butterscotch frosting (glaze? topping? shmear?).
Those three extra ingredients are so totally worth it.
Printable recipe for scotcharoos Cheerios bars below. Enjoy!
- 3 T butter
- 1 (10-oz) package mini marshmallows
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups Cheerios
- 1 (12-oz) bag semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch baking chips
- Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large pot over low heat.
- Add marshmallows; stir until marshmallows are completely melted. Fold in peanut butter.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla. Fold in Cheerios.
- Transfer contents to baking dish. Use waxed paper (or your fingers) lightly greased with cooking spray or butter to gently press mixture in pan until evenly distributed.
- Microwave semisweet and butterscotch chips in a medium bowl for 30 seconds in microwave; stir. Continue microwaving in 15-second increments and stirring until completely melted.
- Spread over Cheerios bars; allow to set before cutting into squares. Store in an airtight container.