This is probably the fourth or fifth homemade mac and cheese recipe I've made but the first crock pot mac and cheese. The others have been stove top with a finishing touch in the oven. Though Lauren and I were fans, especially once you added a touch of Sriracha, the rest of the family had no problem telling me they wished I'd opened a box of Kraft.
How can anyone prefer powdered "cheese" to tons of shredded sharp cheddar and Colby Jack?
I adapted this recipe from Taste of Home's Easy Slow Cooker Mac & Cheese by using sharp cheddar and switching out the provolone and fontina for Colby Jack. And then I doubled it, which I don't recommend unless you're feeding a dozen people who DON'T prefer Kraft.
Did you know you can get Kraft Macaroni & Cheese for a pretty good deal through Amazon Prime Pantry? Love me some Amazon Prime!
I would totally make this again and take it to a family potluck as a side dish. I don't know what everyone else's problem was, but Lauren and I thought this crock pot mac and cheese rather tasty. Of course, it wasn't as divine is this gourmet macaroni and cheese I posted over two years ago (you can tell by the not-so-awesome food photos). Speaking of which, I think I need to make another batch of that...
Printable recipe for crock pot mac and cheese below. Enjoy!
- 1 box uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 can condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup butter, cubed
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded Colby Jack
- In a large pot, cook macaroni al dente according to package directions. Drain (do not rinse) and set aside.
- While pasta cooks, combine soup, milk, sour cream, butter and seasonings in a medium saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until blended. Add cheese and stir until completely melted.
- Drain macaroni; transfer to a greased 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in cheese mixture. Cook, covered, on low 1-2 hours or until heated through.