Mexican pinwheels are the best appetizer! They’re so easy and so flavorful. And even better, you can make them a day ahead!
Post may include affiliate links, which means if you click on a link and purchase something, you won’t pay anything extra but it will help support this blog.
What is there to say about Mexican pinwheels other than they’re one of the easiest appetizers to make and the least messy to eat.
Those are two solid selling point right there.
I love Mexican pinwheels because you can make them from one hour to an entire day ahead! When it’s time to serve these delightful cream cheese wraps, simply remove the plastic wrap and slice into perfectly portion-controlled pieces.
The portion-controlled slices won’t stop you from eating at least have a dozen, trust me.
Feel free to add more or less taco seasoning to taste and kick up the heat by using hot green chilies rather than mild. Or go all out and reach for extra hot diced jalapenos!
You can also use plain flour tortillas, though I think the flavored tortillas add a bit of fun color—and flavor—to the mix.
By the way, I’m not lying when I say the packet of Taco Bell Original taco seasoning is our family’s favorite… and we’ve tried quite a few of them!
Not a fan of Mexican-flavored appetizers? (We can still be friends, don’t worry.) Try these buffalo chicken pinwheels.
Or maybe these cheesy pigs in a blanket with sriracha dipping sauce. They’re all crowd pleasers!
Want to see how easy it is to make Mexican pinwheels or any kind of cream cheese wrap? Let’s go!
How to Make Mexican Pinwheels
Step 1: Mix cream cheese, chilies, olives, onion, salsa, peppers, cheese and seasoning in a medium bowl.
Step 2: Spread a thin layer of cream cheese mixture onto each tortillas. Roll tortillas and chill.
Step 3: Slice chilled wraps into 1-inch pieces.
I told you—easy peasy!
Printable recipe for Mexican pinwheels below. Enjoy!
- 1 (8-oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 small can diced green chilies (or jalapenos for added kick)
- 1 (2.25-oz) can black olives, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup salsa, juices drained (if necessary)
- 1/2 cup diced mix of red, yellow and orange sweet peppers
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Dash taco seasoning
- 6 burrito-size flour tortillas
- Mix cream cheese, chilies, olives, onion, salsa, peppers, cheese and seasoning in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Spread a thin layer of cream cheese mixture onto each tortillas. Roll tortillas and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Slice chilled wraps into 1-inch pieces before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 299Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 697mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 12g