These Mexican pinwheels make the perfect appetizer—they’re easy, can be made a day ahead, require very few napkins and are always a hit!
Post may include affiliate links, which means if you click on a link and purchase something, you won’t pay anything extra but it will help support this blog.
I first posted these Mexican pinwheels (aka Mexican cream cheese wraps) over four years ago. I never loved the photo, so I figured a guest post on Tatertots & Jello was the perfect time to give the recipe—and the photos—a makeover.
These also make for a tasty addition to your Super Bowl party food.
I love these Mexican pinwheels as an appetizer because you can make them from one hour to an entire day ahead. When it’s time to serve these delightful cream cheese wraps, simply remove the plastic wrap and slice into perfectly portion-controlled pieces.
The portion-controlled slices won’t stop you from eating at least have a dozen, trust me.
Feel free to add more or less taco seasoning to taste and kick up the heat by using hot green chilies rather than mild. You can also use plain flour tortillas, though I think the flavored tortillas add a bit of fun color to the mix.
By the way, I’m not lying when I say the packet of Taco Bell Original taco seasoning is our family’s favorite… and we’ve tried quite a few of them!
Not a fan of Mexican-flavored appetizers? (We can still be friends, don’t worry.) Try these buffalo chicken pinwheels. Or maybe these cheesy pigs in a blanket with sriracha dipping sauce. They’re all crowd pleasers!
Printable recipe for Mexican pinwheels below. Enjoy!
- 1 (8-oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 small can diced green chilies (or jalapenos for added kick)
- 1 (2.25-oz) can black olives, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup salsa, juices drained (if necessary)
- ½ cup diced mix of red, yellow and orange sweet peppers
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Dash taco seasoning
- 6 burrito-size flour tortillas
- Mix cream cheese, chilies, olives, onion, salsa, peppers, cheese and seasoning in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Spread a thin layer of cream cheese mixture onto each tortillas. Roll tortillas and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Slice chilled wraps into 1-inch pieces before serving.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Visit my best of Is This Really My Life Pinterest board for more “yummy” posts.
Feel free to “like” Is This Really My Life on Facebook. It won’t always earn you an extra entry in a giveaway but it will give you warm fuzzies.