Summer celebrations aren't complete without these easy Duncan Hines lemon bars! Lemon cake mix, lemon zest, and coconut make this the best lemon bars with cake mix recipe!
While I much prefer something like this easy chocolate chip brownie cheesecake to lemon bars (chocolate wins over fruit every time), I'm not going to turn down a yummy lemon bars with cake mix recipe.
We usually make this delish lemon bar recipe. And no lie, they are to die for!
But they're also a bit of work, and sometimes you don't want to work that hard for a dessert.
That's where these easy Duncan Hines lemon bars with cake mix come in. And like a lot of the other cake mix recipes on my site, doctored cake mixes can be unbelievably good.
Did I mention they're also unbelievable easy??
These easy lemon bars using cake mix (a.k.a. sunshine lemon bars) require only five ingredients, but I added some lemon zest and coconut for kicks and giggles.
And those additions totally paid off!
Well, for me anyway—Olivia doesn't like coconut and that meant I could eat her share.
I served these cake mix lemon bars for Father's Day because Nathan loves citrus-flavored desserts. My easy key lime pie is a total favorite!
He and everyone else at the gathering raved about these Duncan Hines lemon bars. And then my neighbor raved after we dropped off a plate to her home later that day.
These Duncan Hines lemon bars with cake mix are sure to become your new favorite lemon dessert!
- 1 box lemon cake mix (preferably Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe)
- ½ cup salted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 (14-oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ½ T lemon zest
- ¼ cup sweetened shredded coconut (or to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine lemon cake mix, butter, and egg in a large bowl; mix until thoroughly combined. (Batter will be thick!) Spread mixture evenly into bottom of baking pan.
- Whisk together sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Pour over top of cake mixture. Sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake 25 to 28 minutes or until set. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
FOLLOW HALF-SCRATCHED ON INSTAGRAM (@half_scratched) and share the recipes you're whipping up in the kitchen. Don't forget the #HALFSCRATCHED hashtag so we can see what you've made!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 179Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 172mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 0gSugar: 19gProtein: 2g