Cake mix Oreo cookies are a soft, chewy, delicious alternative to the store-bought variety. Devil’s food cake mix makes them extra fudgy and an easy cream cheese frosting seals this sandwich deal!
Post may include affiliate links, which means if you click on a link and purchase something, you won’t pay anything extra but it will help support this blog.
Every time I make cake mix Oreo cookies, I wonder why I don’t make them more often. They’re not as difficult as you’d think and they’re so much tastier—and softer and chewier and richer—than the store-bought cookies. Don’t get me wrong; I can still eat half a package of Oreos in record time. But sometimes all you want is a decadent chocolate sandwich cookie with the best cream cheese frosting filling.
I feel like devil’s food cake mix gives these homemade Oreo cookies the best flavor and while you could go with canned frosting (vanilla or cream cheese), if you have time, I recommend going with the homemade cream cheese frosting included in the recipe. Not only is it my favorite cream cheese frosting but somehow it turns out perfectly every time you make it.
The secret to creating THE BEST cake mix Oreo cookies is using a medium cookie scoop to ensure uniform cookie size and shape. I also can’t live without an icing spatula for filling the cookies. It makes spreading that gooey frosting that much easier!
- 2 boxes devil's food cake mix, (15.25 oz each)
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 package cream cheese, softened, (8 oz)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease cookie sheet or line with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Mix cake mix, eggs, and oil in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined. Beat 1 minute on medium speed.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, create 2-inch cookie dough balls. Place rolled cookie dough on cookie sheet; flatten slightly with your fingers or the back of a spoon.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set. Let cool 2 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat butter, cream cheese, and vanilla in medium bowl until creamy. Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Use a spatula or small icing spreader to spread filling onto flat side of half the cookies. Top with unfrosted cookies, flat side down. Lightly press together. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Note: If you don't have the time (or desire) for homemade cream cheese frosting, a can of vanilla or cream cheese frosting works well too!
FOLLOW HALF-SCRATCHED ON INSTAGRAM (@half_scratched) and share the recipes you're whipping up in the kitchen. Don't forget the #HALFSCRATCHED hashtag so we can see what you've made!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 547 Total Fat: 29g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 81mg Sodium: 531mg Carbohydrates: 68g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 49g Protein: 5g