Cake mix coffee cake is ridiculously delicious, which is surprising considering how easy it is to make. Think rich, moist coffee cake with the perfect amount of brown sugar goodness and vanilla glaze. Mmm...
I'm a super fan of doctored cake mixes because they produce some of the most decadent cakes and cupcakes. My triple chocolate bundt cake is the perfect example; it's one of my most popular desserts and it consists of only a handful of ingredients. This sour cream carrot bundt cake is another cake mix cake that is absolutely delicious.
While traditional coffee cakes are generally baked in square or rectangular pans, I find bundt cakes far more to my liking because they're pretty without being too pretentious (unless you buy some crazy bundt pan like the "platinum" Nordic Ware pan). They're also easy to dish out to guests—just slice along those nice little lines and serve!
Don't let the lack of cinnamon swirl in the middle of this cake mix coffee cake deceive you. A lot of the brown sugar filling bakes right into the mix, making the cake extra moist and flavorful. And the rest settles to the bottom while baking, creating a nice, slightly crunchy filling along the top.
The positioning of all that brown sugary goodness aligns nicely with the vanilla glaze, making the top of this cake mix coffee cake the most delightful of bites.
I served this cake mix coffee cake at a barbecue we hosted last weekend for my oldest and her college friends. It's a bit of an understatement to say it was a huge hit and I may be a bit disappointed there weren't more leftovers. They didn't leave much of the Texas sheet cake I made either, so I'm full of sad dessert-related feelings. College kids... what can you do? Love 'em, of course, just like you'll love this cake mix coffee cake!
- 18.25 oz yellow cake mix, (1 box)
- 3.9 oz vanilla instant pudding mix, (1 small box)
- 1 ⅓ cups water
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup salted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 T salted butter, softened
- 4 T skim milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour a bundt cake pan; set aside.
- Combine cake mix, pudding mix, water, oil, and eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides occasionally. Pour half of the batter into the bundt pan.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and ¼ cup butter in a medium bowl using a fork or your fingers to cut in the butter. Sprinkle half over the batter in the pan. Top with remaining batter followed by remaining filling.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes before turning over onto a plate or cake stand. Cool completely before adding glaze.
- Combine powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and butter in a medium bowl. Beat on low speed until thoroughly combined, adding milk 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency. Pour glaze over top of cake and allow to set before serving.
FOLLOW HALF-SCRATCHED ON INSTAGRAM (@half_scratched) and share the recipes you're whipping up in the kitchen. Don't forget the #HALFSCRATCHED hashtag so we can see what you've made!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 306Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 332mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 0gSugar: 37gProtein: 2g