Remember those peanut butter swirl brownies I posted last week? They truly are my favorite brownies because they are the perfect combination of peanut butter and chocolate and the perfect dessert without an embellishment. Of course, if you feel the need for embellishment, why not go all out and throw them in a peanut butter chocolate trifle because how could that not totally work?
This peanut butter trifle was George's birthday request. He's been a fan of my chocolate trifle since he was old enough to shovel it into his mouth; I was happy to tweak the recipe to incorporate a bit of peanut buttery flavor. Hello, we're talking chopped Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. And those dang good peanut butter swirl brownies.
I'll be posting my classic trifle recipe in a couple weeks. Believe me, you don't need trifle more than once a quarter, but since you're only looking at photos and (hopefully) pinning the recipe, you'll be able to avoid the sugar coma that inevitably sets in with too much trifle.
This peanut butter chocolate trifle is a fantastic holiday dessert because it:
- Serves a huge crowd. (Trust me, you only need about a half cup or you'll have instant cavities.)
- Needs to be made a day ahead, so less prep (and dishes) on the big day.
- Makes just about everyone happy, even those who don't love chocolate.
- Works really well as a late-night snack.
Yep, it's pretty much a no-brainer crowd-pleasing dessert—and those are the very best kind. Printable recipe for peanut butter chocolate trifle below.
- 1 9×13-inch pan of peanut butter swirl brownies, cooled
- 1 (3.9-ounce) package instant chocolate fudge pudding mix
- ½ cup water
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (8-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (16-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 6 to 8 Reese's Peanut Butter cups, chopped
- Cut brownies into 1-inch squares.
- Combine pudding mix, water and sweetened condensed milk in a large bowl. Mix until smooth; fold in 8-ounce container of whipped topping until no streaks remain.
- Layer half of the brownies, half of the pudding mixture and half of the 16-ounce container of whipped topping in a trifle bowl or similar large glass bowl.
- Sprinkle half the chopped Reese's. Repeat layers. Refrigerate at least 8 hours before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 145Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 219mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 2g