This old-fashioned cucumber salad with mayonnaise is super easy and delicious with a mayo-based dressing. It takes less than 10 minutes to prepare but requires some chill time in the fridge before you can serve it.
This old-fashioned cucumber salad with mayonnaise comprises thinly sliced cucumbers and onions, and a creamy dressing made of milk, mayonnaise, dill, sugar, and seasonings such as salt, black pepper, and dried rosemary.
What Can I Add to Old-Fashioned Cucumber Salad with Mayonnaise?
You can enhance this old-fashioned cucumber salad with mayonnaise with other vegetables such as carrots, lettuce, celery, and boiled potatoes. Here is some information about how you can vary the salad:
- Carrots: To add carrots to this cucumber salad, you can either use them raw and slice them very thinly, or you can boil them before slicing them.
- Boiled Potatoes: I recommend that you use baby potatoes rather than larger potatoes. You should boil them and then place them in cold water to cool before adding them to the salad.
- Celery: Celery adds a crunchy texture to this salad and is also very healthy.
- Lettuce: To use lettuce with this salad, you can make lettuce wraps by filling lettuce leaves with the salad or place lettuce on a plate before topping it with the cucumber salad.
- Yogurt: You can replace the milk in this recipe with yogurt if you like.
- Heavy Cream: For a slightly thicker dressing, use heavy cream instead of milk.
How Can I Thicken the Dressing for My Cucumber Salad?
Use heavy cream or yogurt instead of milk, or add more mayo and less vinegar. This old-fashioned cucumber salad uses about ½ cup of mayonnaise with 2 tbsp of vinegar. For a thicker dressing, you can use ⅓ cup mayonnaise and eliminate the vinegar.
How Long Does this Cucumber Salad Last in the Fridge?
Properly stored, this old-fashioned cucumber and mayonnaise salad can last in the fridge for 3 to days. Simply place the cucumber salad in an airtight container in the fridge until you are ready to serve it.
Can I Freeze this Old-Fashioned Cucumber Salad With Mayonnaise?
Technically speaking, yes, you can freeze this cucumber salad and it will last for 2 to 3 months. However, its texture will be the best when you first make it.
To freeze this salad, divide it between freezer bags and write the date on them before freezing them.
What To Serve With Cucumber Salad With Mayonnaise
This old-fashioned cucumber salad with mayonnaise is excellent with a variety of main courses such as spaghetti, beef stew, chicken wings, and scalloped potatoes.
Here are some ideas of what to serve with your cucumber salad with mayonnaise:
- Pork Tenderloin
- Chili Mac and Cheese
- Chicken Chesapeake
- Fillet Steak
- Pork Butt Instant Pot
- Oven-Baked Bone-In Pork Chops
- 1 English cucumber
- ¼ red onion
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp dill
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- Wash the English cucumber and peel it using a knife or peeler.
- Use a sharp knife or a mandoline to thinly slice the cucumber.
- Thinly slice the onion.
- In a large bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the milk, vinegar, sugar, dill, salt, and black pepper until combined.
- Add the cucumber and onion to the dressing and stir until combined.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate it for 2 hours.
- Serve and enjoy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 466Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 34gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 529mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 3g