This cucumber salad with vinegar and sugar combines the sweet taste of sugar with tangy vinegar and crisp cucumbers. It is an easy salad that you can make in less than 5 minutes.
Placing Cucumbers in Vinegar
In some households, people wash and cut cucumbers into slices, and then place them in containers of white or red vinegar. With this method, the cucumbers stay fresh for about a week while absorbing the flavor from the vinegar. This recipe is very similar to the idea because the dressing contains plenty of cider vinegar or white vinegar, which will help this salad hold in the fridge as you need it over the week.
Variations of this Cucumber Salad With Vinegar
- Tomatoes: You can add sliced tomato to make a cucumber tomato salad.
- Onions: Green onions or red onions are excellent in this cucumber salad with vinegar, adding some spiciness.
- Hungarian Cucumber Salad: You can turn this into a Hungarian cucumber salad by adding sour cream, Hungarian paprika, and shallots, and replacing the olive oil with water.
- Asian Cucumber Salad: For an Asian cucumber salad, add some fresh ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sesame seeds to the salad, and replace the sugar with maple syrup.
- Creamy Cucumber Salad: You can make a creamy cucumber salad by adding sour cream.
Tips for the Vinegar And Sugar Vinaigrette
- You can use maple syrup or honey instead of sugar if you would like to make an Asian cucumber salad.
- Add lemon juice to the vinaigrette to give it more brightness. This will make the salad perfect for serving with sushi or meat dishes.
- Add dry herbs such as dill, dried rosemary, Italian herbs, or garlic powder.
How Long Can You Keep Cucumber Salad With Vinegar And Sugar in the Fridge?
Cucumber salad with vinegar and sugar can last in the fridge for 3 days. Make sure to eat your salad within this time frame because after 3 days, the cucumbers will soften.
How Long Can You Keep Cucumber Salad With Vinegar And Sugar in the Freezer?
You can freeze cucumber salad with vinegar and sugar for 3 to 4 months. Here are some instructions for freezing it:
- Divide the cucumber salad between glass containers or sealable freezer bags.
- If you are using freezer bags, try to extract as much air as possible from them before closing them.
- Label the bags with the date you are freezing them.
- Place them in the freezer.
How to Thaw Frozen Cucumber Salad With Vinegar and Sugar
- In the Fridge: Place frozen cucumber salad with vinegar and sugar in the fridge for 24 hours or until thawed.
- In Cold Water: You can defrost your frozen cucumber salad in 3 hours or less.
- At Room Temperature: The salad will thaw at room temperature in 6 hours.
What Goes Well With Cucumber Salad With Vinegar and Sugar?
Cucumber salad with vinegar and sugar is wonderful to serve as a side dish with many main courses, such as soups, casseroles, stews, rice, and more.
When I want an easy and quick side dish, I like to make this cucumber salad. It is great to serve with meat such as chicken or beef.
Here are some dishes you can serve with this cucumber salad:
- 2 English cucumbers
- ⅓ cup cider or white vinegar
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon white sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Chopped fresh dill or parsley, optional
- Slice the cucumbers into thin slices or cut them into matchsticks.
- Place the chopped cucumbers in a large glass bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar with olive oil, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the vinegar and sugar vinaigrette over the cucumbers and mix well.
- Cover the salad and refrigerate it for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Garnish with chopped fresh dill or parsley if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 280Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 322mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 2g