This meatball marinara grilled cheese sandwich is super simple to throw together and requires only five ingredients. Who knew a gourmet grilled cheese sandwich could be so dang easy?
It would be super wrong of me to bring you a tasty roundup of gourmet grilled cheese for National Grilled Cheese month without creating my own gourmet grilled cheese sandwich.
Today I bring you a cheesy, marinara-y grilled cheese aptly named the meatball marinara grilled cheese sandwich.
This gourmet grilled cheese sandwich is super simple to throw together (does that mean I can’t call it gourmet?) and requires only five ingredients: sourdough bread, marinara sauce, Italian meatballs, a blend of Italian cheeses and butter—or garlic butter if you’re feeling extra gourmet.
You’ll want to eat your meatball marinara grilled cheese hot from the pan because all that saucy goodness tends to make the bread get soggy rather quickly. Fortunately they’re so delicious you won’t have a problem inhaling them as soon as they’re ready.
Printable recipe for meatball marinara grilled cheese sandwich below. Enjoy!
- 1 loaf sourdough bread, sliced
- ½ jar marinara sauce
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend, divided
- 1 (26-oz) package Italian style meatballs (jumbo size; approx. 2 oz. ea.)
- Butter (or garlic butter)
- Heat griddle or skillet over medium heat.
- Heat meatballs according to package directions. Slice into ¼" slices. Set aside.
- Spread butter on one side of sliced bread.
- Layer ingredients in pan in following order: one slice bread (butter side down), 2 to 3 heaping tablespoons of marinara sauce, meatball slices , ⅓ cup Italian cheese blend, one slice bread (butter side up).
- Cook over medium heat until golden brown; flip and cook on second side until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.