This meatball marinara grilled cheese sandwich is simple, quick, and legit delicious. Who knew a gourmet grilled cheese could be so easy?
It would be super wrong of me to bring you a tasty roundup of gourmet grilled cheese for National Grilled Cheese month without creating my own gourmet grilled cheese sandwich.
Today I bring you a cheesy, marinara-y grilled cheese aptly named the meatball marinara grilled cheese sandwich.
This gourmet grilled cheese sandwich is super simple to throw together (does that mean I can’t call it gourmet?) and requires only five ingredients: sourdough bread, marinara sauce, Italian meatballs, a blend of Italian cheeses and butter—or garlic butter if you’re feeling extra gourmet.
You’ll want to eat your meatball marinara grilled cheese hot from the pan because all that saucy goodness tends to make the bread get soggy rather quickly.
Fortunately they’re so delicious you won’t have a problem inhaling them as soon as they’re ready.
I promise this meatball grilled cheese isn’t as hard to make as it looks. And it’s so very, very easy to eat. Kind of like my always favorite jalapeno popper grilled cheese sandwich.
Holy crap, that thing is delish. Who wouldn’t love a jalapeno popper appetizer that’s been turned into a grilled sandwich??
Printable recipe for meatball marinara grilled cheese sandwich below. Enjoy!
- 1 large loaf sourdough bread, sliced
- 1/2 (24-oz) jar marinara sauce
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend, divided
- 1 (26-oz) package Italian style meatballs
- Butter (or garlic butter)
- Heat griddle or skillet over medium heat.
- Heat meatballs according to package directions. Slice in half; set aside.
- Spread butter on one side of sliced bread.
- Layer ingredients in pan in following order: one slice bread (butter side down), 2 to 3 heaping tablespoons of marinara sauce, meatball slices, 1/3 cup Italian cheese blend, one slice bread (butter side up).
- Cook over medium heat until golden brown; flip and cook on second side until golden brown and cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
FOLLOW HALF-SCRATCHED ON INSTAGRAM (@half_scratched) and share the recipes you're whipping up in the kitchen. Don't forget the #HALFSCRATCHED hashtag so we can see what you've made!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 762 Total Fat: 42g Saturated Fat: 19g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 108mg Sodium: 1270mg Carbohydrates: 55g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 7g Protein: 37g