There's nothing like hot, cinnamon-swirled yellow cake topped with powdered sugar icing. Dessert or breakfast? Honey bun cake is both!
Post may include affiliate links, which means if you click on a link and purchase something, you won’t pay anything extra but it will help support this blog.
In my opinion, wondering whether a dish is breakfast or dessert is a fantastic problem to have. Why? Because it's not really a problem.
Take this honey bun cake recipe.
Because it tastes similar to a cinnamon roll, it could easily be a breakfast or brunch recipe. But it also tastes a lot like a cinnamon swirl cake, which makes it sound more like dessert. So which is it?
The answer is both. That means you can eat honey bun cake morning and night! And since it's super easy, you can make it every weekend.
Don't let what looks like a long list of ingredients fool you. They're the typical ingredients you'd use when baking a cake mix cake.
The only difference is the cinnamon swirl filling and icing, but those are easy as pie!
I love how this cake calls for sour cream in the mix. It reminds me of my famous decadent triple chocolate bundt cake.
If you're a chocolate lover, you're going to want to try that one next!
Ready to wow guests without breaking a sweat? Here's how easy it is to make honey bun cake.
How to Make Honey Bun Cake
Step 1: Mix cake mix, oil, eggs, and sour cream together. Pour half in pan.
Step 3: Combine brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over cake mix. Top with remaining cake mix and swirl.
Step 4: Bake. Frost while hot and eat immediately.
If you want your breakfast-and-dessert dish to look extra fancy, bake it in a bright white 9x13-inch baking pan. Nothing shows off desserts like white bakeware!
Printable recipe for honey bun cake below. Enjoy!
- 1 (18.25-oz) package yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine cake mix, oil, eggs, and sour cream in a large mixing bowl. Stir by hand approximately 50 strokes or until most of the large clumps disappear. Pour half the batter in an ungreased 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over batter. Spoon other half of the batter into cake pan, covering brown sugar mixture. Use a knife to swirl the cake until it looks like a honey bun (cinnamon roll).
- Bake 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Frost cake while still hot. Serve warm.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla in a small bowl until smooth. Pour over hot cake and gently spread until even covered.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 223Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 175mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 0gSugar: 26gProtein: 2g