Ready for a side dish that's sure to please everyone? Try this easy, creamy, extra yummy slow cooker creamed corn!
Ever since I had my first taste of this easy slow cooker creamed corn, I've pretty much demanded we serve it at most every holiday dinner. One year, we had it during our 2017 eclipse trip to Idaho and at Thanksgiving dinner.
We would have had it at Christmas dinner the same year, but alas, we were in Kauai without a slow cooker.
My famous best cheesy potaotes (funeral potatoes) take a bit more work, but the effort—and the oohs and aahs—are totally worth it.
The secret is using O'Brien potatoes. But don't tell.
The original recipe for crock pot creamed corn uses heavy cream, full-fat cream cheese and 6 tablespoons of butter along with the frozen corn and dash of sugar.
As much as I love all that creamy, cheesy goodness, sometimes you want to eat seconds (and thirds) of this side dish without feeling too guilty.
That's where a few healthy tweaks come in! If you want to cut down the fat in this recipe:
- Substitute fat-free half & half for regular half & half
- Use reduced-fat or fat-free cream cheese
- Try reduced fat or fat-free Parmeshan cheese
Keep in mind, you'll lose a little bit of the creamy texture if you switch to lower fat substitutes. But while the sauce may not be quite as thick and creamy, the dish will still taste pretty darn yummy!
I'm here to tell you this easy slow cooker creamed corn is delightful. And scrumptious. And super tasty. And let's not forget simple!
How to Make Slow Cooker Creamed Corn
Step 1: Place ingredients in slow cooker.
Step 2: Cook, stirring occasionally.
Two of the best things about this creamed corn is its simplicity and its ability to free up the oven for other dishes (like the aforementioned best ever cheesy potatoes).
I couldn't live without my slow cooker, especially when it comes to big family parties. My classic slow cooker is still going strong but I have my eye on a programmable slow cooker for the holidays.
If you could let my husband know, that would be awesome.
Printable recipe for slow cooker creamed corn below. Enjoy!
- 3 pounds frozen corn
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place frozen corn in slow cooker; pour half & half over top.
- Cut cream cheese into quarters and place on top of corn.
- Sprinkle parmesan and sugar on top of cream cheese and corn.
- Slice butter into single tablespoons and layer on top of everything.
- Cook on high 4 hours (or low 8 hours), stirring occasionally once corn thaws to combine ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- NOTE: For a lighter version, use low-fat or fat-free half & half, cream cheese, and/or Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 200Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 156mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 6g