Salmon patties have a crispy exterior and tender interior, and are wonderful to serve with a fresh salad or fries and tartar sauce. On average, salmon patties take between 20 and 25 minutes to cook, making them an excellent weeknight meal. However, the time may vary depending on the temperature you cook them at, the method you use to cook them, and the thickness of the patties.
The Best Temperature to Cook Salmon Patties
To bake salmon patties, 350 F is the perfect oven temperature. The patties will take about 20 minutes or a little longer to fully cook. You can bake your patties at 400 F or 425 F if you would like them to have more color and cook faster, but there is a risk that they may overcook or burn.
By baking your salmon patties at 350 F, they will be evenly and thoroughly cooked, without being burned on the outside.
How Long to Cook Salmon Patties in an Air Fryer
Cooking salmon patties in the air fryer will take about 10 to 15 minutes at 350 F.
- Set the air fryer at 350 F.
- Spray some oil in the air fryer basket and on the salmon patties.
- Place your patties in the air fryer and bake them for 8 minutes.
- Open the air fryer, flip the patties, and bake them for an extra 4 minutes.
- Once done, the internal temperature should reach 165 F, but if it doesn't, cook the patties for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- If you would like extra crispy salmon patties, you can cook them for an extra 3 minutes.
- Serve the salmon patties and enjoy!
How Long to Cook Salmon Patties on the Stove
Cooking salmon patties in a frying pan should only take 6 to 8 minutes, turning once halfway through. It is important that you heat the oil until it reaches between 350 F and 375 F before you fry them. Here are some instructions for cooking salmon patties in a frying pan on the stove.
- Pour about 3 tablespoon vegetable oil into a large skillet on the stove.
- Heat the oil until an inserted thermometer reaches 350 F.
- Place the salmon patties in the pan and fry them for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until they are well browned and crispy.
- Drain the salmon patties on a paper towel-lined plate before serving them.
How Long to Cook Salmon Patties in the Oven
Salmon patties take between 20 and 35 minutes to bake in the oven at 350 F. Here is how to bake salmon patties in the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Place the salmon patties on a baking sheet.
- Place the salmon patties in the oven and bake them for 20 to 25 minutes or until the internal temp reaches 165 F.
- Let the patties cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve the patties and enjoy!
Salmon patties covered with foil take less time to bake at about 18 to 20 minutes. However, you will not be able to get crispy salmon cakes if you use foil. If you prefer to have dinner made more quickly, then covering the cakes with foil is a good idea. However, if you love golden, crispy salmon cakes, consider leaving them uncovered during baking.
How Long to Cook Salmon Patties on the Grill
If you would like to cook your salmon patties on the grill, they will take about 10 minutes per side on a 300 F grill. However, if you choose to cook them at a higher or lower temperature, the cooking time could be shorter or longer. Here are some instructions regarding how to cook salmon patties on the grill.
- Preheat a grill to 300 F.
- Grease the grill with oil to prevent sticking. Grill the salmon patties for about 10 minutes on each side.
- You will know the salmon patties are done when they are brown and crispy on the outside and 165 F on the inside.
- Allow the salmon patties to cool for 3 minutes before you serve them.
- Serve the salmon patties with mayonnaise and mustard.
How Long Does it Take to Cook Frozen Salmon Patties?
If you would like to cook salmon patties from frozen, they will take about 18 to 20 minutes in a 400 F oven. However, if the salmon patties are raw, I recommend that you first thaw them in the fridge or thaw them in a bowl of warm water.
How Do You Know When Salmon Patties are Done?
You will know that your salmon patties are done and perfectly cooked when they are brown and crispy on the outside and reach between 60 F and 165 F in the inside.
Make sure that you always check the doneness of your salmon patties 3 or 5 minutes before the recommended cooking time has elapsed as cooking times are approximate and can vary due to several factors.
Why Do My Salmon Patties Fall Apart When Cooking?
Salmon patties might fall apart because they are wet and don't have enough breadcrumbs to make them stick together. It could also be that you used too many eggs or wet ingredients such as lemon juice or sauce. If the mixture seems a little too wet, you can adjust with more breadcrumbs if needed.
Why Are My Salmon Patties Dry?
Salmon patties may come out dry because they have too many breadcrumbs or flour. To fix dry salmon patties, you can add 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise or lemon juice.
Can You Undercook Salmon Patties?
You should not eat undercooked salmon patties unless the salmon you are using is sushi grade and safe to be consumed raw. Otherwise, you should try to make sure the patties are completely cooked through.
What Goes Best With Salmon Patties?
Salmon patties go really well when served on a toasted bun with various sauces like mayonnaise or tartar sauce, fresh lettuce and tomatoes, and of course, pickles. However, you could also serve them alongside rice, salad, cooked pasta with gravy, mashed potatoes, and roasted vegetables such as asparagus or carrots.
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning, preferably Old Bay
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Hot sauce, to taste
- 2 6-ounce cans of pink salmon in oil or spring water, drained
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 4 scallions, sliced thin
- ¼ cup olive oil
- In a bowl, stir the egg with the mayonnaise, mustard, seafood seasoning, lemon juice, and hot sauce.
- Stir in the salmon, Panko breadcrumbs, and scallions.
- Divide the mixture into four patties and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook the salmon patties in the hot oil for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Drain the patties on paper towels.
- Serve the patties on buns as burgers and/or with salad.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 454Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 451mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 23g