This wild rice salad is the perfect summer dish with its diced chicken, red bell pepper, snow peas, avocado and toasted pecans.
The first time I tasted this wild rice salad it was spring of 2007. I seriously can't believe it's taken me 8 YEARS to make it and share it. I stumbled across this wild rice salad recipe while browsing my binder of power (aka recipe binder) looking for some inspiration.
I shopped for the ingredients the next day and served it at our Relief Society summer social that evening. Not many recipes get that quick a turnaround!
This wild rice salad is a delightful summer dish with its cooked wild rice, diced chicken, red bell pepper, snow peas, avocado and toasted pecans. It's right up there with my favorite Asian ramen chicken salad. In fact, the perfect weeknight meal would be a plate half filled with one and half filled with the other.
Though you'll dirty a few dishes while making this chicken and wild rice salad, it's totally worth it. Plus it makes a pretty good size salad, so it's perfect for summer potlucks and family get-together.
We eat it as a main dish but you could always serve it as a side.
Printable recipe for wild rice salad below. Enjoy!
- 1 box Rice-A-Roni (or other brand) long grain & wild rice, prepared according to package directions
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 to 2 cups snow peas, rinsed, ends removed with larger pods cut in half
- 2 medium avocados, diced
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T Dijon muster
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or shaker bottle; mix well. Cover and refrigerate.
- Combine wild rice mix, chicken, green onions, red bell pepper and snow peas in a large bowl and toss with dressing. Refrigerate 2 to 4 hours.
- Add avocados, pecans and lemon juice before serving and toss to coat well. Garnish with additional chopped toasted pecans (optional). Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 269Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 158mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 13g
Here are a few more scrumptious salad recipes you can enjoy year round!