Making bacon-wrapped hot dogs in the oven is easier than you think! Try this simple technique for bacon hot dogs as you throw together a batch of these spicy BLT dogs drizzled with melted cheese sauce.
I'm not ashamed to admit I love hot dogs. I love grilled hot dogs, game day hot dogs, leftover hot dogs, double bacon chili cheese dogs...
I'll eat hot dogs topped with the basics like mustard, ketchup, and relish. But I'll also eat them topped with crazier toppings like this easy mango salsa.
One of my favorite ways to eat hot dogs, though, is by wrapping hot dogs in bacon and grilling or baking them. Bacon-wrapped hot dogs are the secret to super yummy spicy BLT dogs.
Making those bacon-wrapped hot dogs in the oven is the secret to a happy life. Or at least a happy life if it's pouring rain and you don't want to do bacon-wrapped hot dogs on the grill.
Don't underestimate the tastiness of BLT dogs. Sure, there's bacon, lettuce, and tomato but we're not talking just any tomato. Nope. We're talking a can of spicy Ro-Tel diced tomatoes with habaneros.
What's the best way to balance out all that heat? A drizzle of melted cheese of course! And guess what I discovered—Velveeta now comes in individual 4-ounce packets so you can easily heat up only what you need. Those Velveeta Toppers are brilliant!
I found an 8-ounce squeeze bottle the perfect way to drizzle the Velveeta over the spicy BLT hot dogs. Just don't microwave the cheese in the bottle or it might end up all over the inside of your microwave.
Not that I speak from personal experience or anything...
If you've always wanted to know how to make bacon-wrapped hot dogs in the oven but don't want to do the spicy BLT thing, no worries. You can use the steps in this spicy BLT dogs recipe for wrapping the hot dogs with bacon and then skip the BLT dogs toppings!
Bacon-wrapped hot dogs are good topped with so many things: chili, diced avocado and pico, grilled onions, ketchup, mustard, refried beans, more bacon... basically all the important toppings.
- 1 (8-count) package bun-length beef hot dogs
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 (10-ounce) can Rotel Diced Tomatoes with Habaneros
- 1 (4-ounce) package Velveeta Toppers
- 1 (8-count) package hot dog buns
- Heat oven to 400° degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Wrap bacon tightly around hot dogs by spiraling it around the hot dog, overlapping the edges as you go. Secure at both ends with toothpicks.
- Place on baking sheet making sure hot dogs aren't touching each other. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until bacon is thoroughly cooked and hot dogs are browned.
- Line each hot dog bun with about ¼ cup of shredded lettuce. Top with hot dogs followed by Rotel diced tomatoes. Drizzle with melted Velveeta cheese. Serve immediately.
FOLLOW HALF-SCRATCHED ON INSTAGRAM (@half_scratched) and share the recipes you're whipping up in the kitchen. Don't forget the #HALFSCRATCHED hashtag so we can see what you've made!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 414Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 1087mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 14g