Sour cream banana bread is the only banana bread recipe you should make. This banana bread melts in your mouth, freezes well and is perfect for gift giving.
The first time I made this sour cream banana bread, I knew I'd never make banana bread any other way again. And I love a good banana bread recipe.
The addition of sour cream is absolutely brilliant. It makes the banana bread extra melt-in-your-mouth moist—you may not like that word but it's the best way to describe it—and takes it from run of the mill to out of this world.
Do people still use the phrase "out of this world"?
Sour cream aside, you'll die when you bite into this banana bread and discover a cinnamon sugar crust (for lack of a better word). Yep, the bread pans are greased and then dusted with cinnamon sugar. Once baked, it provides the loaf with this sugary sweet kick—the perfect compliment to the cinnamon banana flavor of the bread.
If you don't want to use 3 cups of sugar, you could try cutting it back to 2 ½ or 2 cups. And I used low-fat sour cream without any problems, though I have heard fat-free sour cream makes it a little dry.
I like to bake eight mini loaves in a pan, freeze three, giveaway two and eat the rest. Sometimes I even share.
Printable recipe for sour cream banana bread below. Enjoy!
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 6 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 (16-oz) container sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 4 ½ cups flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Grease four 7x3 inch loaf pans. (I used slightly smaller pans.)
- In a small bowl, stir together ¼ cup sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon. Dust pans lightly with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Cream butter and 3 cups sugar. Mix in eggs, mashed bananas, sour cream, vanilla and cinnamon. Mix in salt, baking soda and flour. Stir in nuts. Divide into prepared pans filling just over ⅔ full.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. If loaves are browning too quickly, cover pan(s) with foil.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 312Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 212mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 2gSugar: 31gProtein: 4g
Here are a few more bread recipes you might enjoy...
Peasant bread (a family favorite for sure!)