Diced yellow pepper and a dash of hot sauce make this slow cooker turkey chili ideal for potlucks. Serve with cornbread for the perfect meal!
This slow cooker turkey chili started out as a one-pot turkey chili, but I find I rarely have the time to keep an eye on a simmering pot that requires at least an hour of simmering. I’d rather have one extra pan to clean than to worry I’ll forget to stir the chili. (I’ve forgotten to stir my creamy chicken and rice soup, so it’s a real concern.)
Although this slow cooker turkey chili has more ingredients than the slow cooker sweet tortilla soup I posted last week, it’s totally worth making. The two appear fairly similar but have very different flavors. Of course, I have no problem eating some sort of chili or bean-filled soup multiple times a week, especially during colder months!
This slow cooker turkey chili is easy to tweak (e.g., try pinto beans instead of kidney beans or green bell pepper instead of yellow). Love garlic? Add an extra teaspoon or two. All about the heat? Go for double the hot sauce. I do recommend not substituting something for the chili beans; they add the perfect flavor to this turkey chili.
Printable recipe for slow cooker turkey chili below. Enjoy!
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 T minced garlic
- ¼ cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (16-oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16-oz) can chili beans
- 1 can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 T chili powder
- ½ T sugar
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Diced avocado
- Tortilla strips
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onions, garlic and bell peppers in olive oil until onions are translucent. Add turkey; cook until browned and no longer pink.
- Place turkey in slow cooker and add remaining ingredients; stir to combine. Cook on high 2 to 3 hours (or low 4 to 6 hours).
- Serve topped with your choice of toppings (ideas listed above).
This is a sponsored post as part of the #LIGHTtheWORLD campaign.
Five-bean soup mix in a jar
Creamy chicken & rice soup (my family’s favorite!)
Looking for more yummy recipes? Try browsing my best of Is This Really My Life Pinterest board. I guarantee you’ll find quite a few!
Feel free to “like” Is This Really My Life on Facebook. It won’t always earn you an extra entry in a giveaway but it will give you warm fuzzies.