This simple berry syrup requires only three ingredients and works with most berries. My favorites are strawberries, raspberries and blackberries. Yum!
The other day I had to use up some strawberries that were quickly ripening in the fridge. I've always wanted to make a homemade strawberry syrup but feared it might be way too much work. And while I can bake amazing treats like salted caramel bars and old-fashioned iced oatmeal cookies, I can't make candy to save my life.
Fortunately this simple berry syrup recipe is super easy and forgiving and works well for a variety of berries. I tried it with strawberries, raspberries and blackberries. And then I made a version where I didn't strain out the mashed strawberries and it was so. dang. good. We've put the chunkier version atop yogurt, parfaits, rolls and pancakes.
You need only three ingredients for this simple berry syrup: water, sugar and berries. The end. I think a batch of strawberry syrup makes for a wonderful hostess or new neighbor gift. It's also perfect for gifting a good friend who's always dropping off treats to your family.
Here's a batch of simply blackberry syrup I made a week or so later. Isn't it so pretty?
I recommend putting this simple berry syrup in cute 8-ounce Mason jars; Mason jars seem to make everything look and taste better.
Before gifting this simply berry syrup, I recommend throwing on a cute gift tag like these free "made with love" gift tags. I thought the size of the tag was perfect for the jars of syrup and the tiny heart is the sweetest!
Printable recipe for simple berry syrup below. Enjoy!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups berries (if strawberries, quarter before adding to pan)
- Combine water and sugar in medium saucepan over medium-high heat; stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add berries to pan and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until berries are mushy and sauce is thick, about 10 minutes. Strain liquid into jar to remove fruit and seeds; refrigerate.
- Option (for strawberry syrup only): Don't strain liquid. Pour into jar and refrigerate. Use as a topping for yogurt, parfaits, rolls, etc.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 90Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 0g