This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sargento. The opinions and text are all mine.
One of my all-time favorite shows on the Food Network is Chopped. I'm amazed at the dishes those chefs create using the most random ingredients@mdash;cactus flower buds, quail, marrow bones, chicken in a can...
Speaking of chicken and Chopped, I got a taste of Chopped thanks to Sargento and the Chopped at Home contest. I was given Sargento Off the Block 4 Cheese Mexican shredded cheese, boneless chicken tenders, couscous and salsa and asked to create a Chopped-inspired dish.
Thank heavens they didn't give me durian.
The highlight of this dish is the cheese. (Isn't that the best part of any dish?) I love a good Mexican blend and Sargento has created a super tasty one with a combination of Monterey Jack, mild cheddar, queso quesadilla and asadero cheeses.
I took Sargento's Chopped at Home challenge and created a dish worthy of any Taco Tuesday: Salsa Chicken with Mexican Couscous. When the salsa chicken came out of the oven, it was all I could do not to eat that cheesy, salsa-y dish straight from the pan.
Of course there was still the couscous. I thought, what better side dish than a Mexican-inspired couscous recipe? And it paired perfectly with the salsa chicken. Delicioso!
Never one to pass up an opportunity for more cheese, I added a dollop of sour cream and sprinkled additional Sargento Off the Block 4 Cheese Mexican on top of the already cheesed-up salsa chicken. Mmm...
It was basically the perfect Chopped-inspired dish, especially if you love Mexican-inspired recipes.
If this recipe has peaked your interest about the Sargento Chopped at Home contest, you can find all the details and enter your recipe here: http://goo.gl/pzi0uZ. Remember, Sargento cheese is the star of the show so make sure you feature it in your recipe like in the photo below.
Printable recipe for salsa chicken with Mexican couscous below. Enjoy!
A few tasty tidbits about Sargento
Available in 30 versatile varieties, unique blends and distinct cuts, Sargento Shredded Cheese is always cut from blocks of 100% real, natural cheese. For more inspiration, check out the Sargento Pinterest page or visit Sargento.com for more information. The Chopped at Home Challenge gives viewers a chance to create their best recipe using the selected basket ingredients, including Sargento Shredded Cheese, for a chance to win $10,000!
- 2 lbs boneless chicken tenders
- 4 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 (16-oz) jar salsa
- 1 (8-oz) package Sargento Off the Block 4 Cheese Mexican, divided
- Sour cream (optional)
- 1 tsp + 1 T olive oil, divided
- ½ cup frozen corn
- ¼ cup diced yellow onion
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 T chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place chicken tenders in a large resealable bag with taco seasoning and shake to coat evenly.
- Spread 1 cup salsa in bottom of 9x13-inch pan. Place chicken in pan and cover with remaining salsa.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is tender and juices run clear.
- Sprinkle 1½ cups of cheese over chicken and bake another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Top with sour cream and serve.
- Add 1 tsp of oil to a small saute pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add frozen corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until corn looks as if it's been grilled. Set aside.
- Heat 1 T oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in cooked corn, salt, cumin, coriander and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork and top with cilantro before serving.