Red velvet rice krispie treats are unbelievably easy but what I love best is the light cocoa flavor thanks to combining Cocoa Krispies & red velvet cake mix!
I first posted these red velvet rice krispie treats in February of 2012 thanks to Tiffany sharing the recipe. It took me three attempts to get it right but it was so worth it. Because my photography skills have improved a bit since then, I thought Valentine's Day 2015 the perfect opportunity to revamp the recipe and the photos.
These red velvet rice krispie treats are unbelievably easy, but that's not what I love best about them. What I love best is the light cocoa flavor thanks to a combination of Cocoa Krispies and red velvet cake mix.
Last time I made these, I used a heart-shaped cookie cutter rather than cutting them into squares. It's totally an awesome option if you feel so inclined. Because these red velvet rice krispie treats are perfect for Valentine's Day and Christmas, I went with a more generic shape this time. But go crazy if you want! (You can see them as hearts here.)
That doesn't mean you can't have a little Valentine's Day fun with these babies. Just look at what happened when I got a little wild with the white chocolate drizzle.
Okay, maybe it's more cute than wild, but I did have a lot of fun.
I love any dessert recipe that requires only 5 ingredients (4 required; 1 optional) and less than 20 minutes to prepare. Plus, red velvet rice krispie treats—like "normal" krispie treats—call for ingredients you usually have on hand. Double yay!
Printable recipe for red velvet rice krispie treats below. Enjoy!
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1 (10.5-oz) bag mini marshmallows
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 6 cups Cocoa Krispies cereal
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Melt butter over medium-low heat in a large pot.
- Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Add cake mix and stir until thoroughly combined. (I use the back of the spatula to break up any lumps.)
- Fold in Cocoa Krispies and stir until cereal is evenly coated.
- Spread in pan. Chill 15 minutes in refrigerator.
- Melt white chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute at 70% power. Stir. (Chips will retain shape while microwaving, so don't overheat!) If not completely melted after stirring, microwave in 10-second increments. Drizzle over cooled treats.
- Keep treats tightly covered until ready to serve. (They're best if served the same day.)