I love it when I discover new recipes out of necessity. This one came about on Easter Sunday due to a missing bag of frozen whole green beans in the freezer. (I swear I bought a bag last Costco visit but I was probably distracted by a taste-testing table. Dang those samples!)
Having bacon on hand for the original green bean recipe and a bag of frozen broccoli florets (at least I remembered those last trip to Costco), I searched for a bacon and broccoli side dish. I found numerous versions of the typical cold broccoli/craisin/grape/coleslaw salad but very few other options. Finally I found this Italian broccoli with bacon recipe on Food.com. I didn’t have mushrooms on hand but thought I’d give it a shot anyway.
No mushrooms means twice as much bacon anyway.
This Italian broccoli with bacon & mushrooms recipe was super easy to prepare and had a light, tangy flavor thanks to the Italian dressing. Oh, and it was delicious even without the mushrooms! I did add a bit of minced garlic and upped the bacon because let’s face it, everything is better with garlic and extra bacon.
Printable recipe for Italian broccoli with bacon & mushrooms below.
- 1 lb broccoli florets or 1 (16-oz) bag frozen broccoli florets
- 3 to 4 slices bacon
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ to 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms*
- ¼ cup Italian dressing
- Steam fresh broccoli or cook frozen broccoli according to package directions until broccoli is tender crisp. Drain and set aside.
- While broccoli is steaming, cook bacon in a skillet until done. Remove from skillet, cool and crumble. Wipe most of the excess greats from the skillet.
- Saute onions, garlic and mushrooms in same skillet until tender.
- Add broccoli and stir in salad dressing.
- Add crumbed bacon and heat thoroughly. Serve immediately.