These easy homemade funfetti cupcakes topped with my favorite homemade vanilla buttercream frosting and extra sprinkles are always a crowd-pleaser!
I've made funfetti cupcakes before and while they were delicious, they were also extreme light and airy. If that's your thing, then go with this recipe that features a yummy vanilla bean frosting.
But if you're all about denser, more flavor-packed homemade funfetti cupcakes, you totally need to bake these this version complete with my favorite vanilla buttercream frosting.
The recipe for the cake part of these homemade funfetti cupcakes is from Sally's Baking Addiction. She is one of my favorite food bloggers and makes the most scrumptious treats.
The recipe for the homemade vanilla buttercream frosting is my very favorite out of all the vanilla—and vanilla bean—frosting I've made. It's light and fluffy and can easily be adjusted depending on what kind of consistency you want.
I added a bit of extra powdered sugar so it would hold up to piping and those extra sprinkles.
Make sure you're using jimmies rather than nonpariels. The results are 100 times better.
My trusty large scoop put just the right amount of batter in each cupcake liner. I swear I don't know how I survived without it. It works well for those double bran muffins I shared last week, too!
Printable recipe for homemade funfetti cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting below. Enjoy!
- 1 ⅔ cup flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- ¼ cup vanilla yogurt (or sour cream)
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 T vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup jimmies
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 T milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners; set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Whisk butter and sugars vigorously. Mixture will be gritty. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 minute.
- Beat in egg, yogurt, milk, and vanilla extract until combined. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until no lumps remain. Batter will be thick. Gently fold in sprinkles; avoid over mixing.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners and bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- Beat butter on medium speed for about 2 minutes until creamy. Add powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and salt and beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Add more sugar if frosting is too thin, more milk if too thick.
Here are a few more cupcakes I super enjoy baking.