On Tuesday I posted a recipe for black and white cupcakes, which were part of the dessert buffet at my sister’s baby shower. Today I bring you the other batch of cupcakes I baked: funfetti cupcakes with my ever-favorite vanilla bean frosting.
I have some leftover vanilla bean frosting in the fridge; perhaps it’s snack time.
My sister’s favorite cake of all time is funfetti, and though I’d baked a funfetti cake for a previous birthday, I had yet to make it in cupcake form. I tried out a new funfetti recipe, and after adding some extra flour to the mix to adjust for high altitude (i.e., my first batch of cupcakes had sunken centers), I found this recipe just as yummy though a lot lighter than the first one I tried.
If a less dense, lighter cake is your thing, then you’ll love these funfetti cupcakes. If you prefer a more dense batter, check out my recipe for homemade funfetti (confetti) cake.
Printable recipe for funfetti cupcakes with vanilla bean frosting below.
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 T unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup rainbow jimmies (plus more for sprinkling on frosted cupcakes)
- 3 to 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 tsp vanilla bean paste (more to taste)
- 2 T milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. (Add extra flour as noted above if at a higher altitude.) Stir together until combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 to 5 minutes). Add egg whites and beat until combined. Add vanilla and almond extract and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients in thirds alternating with the milk (i.e., ⅓ of the dry mixture followed by half the milk; repeat and end with remaining ⅓ of the dry mixture).
- Mix until just incorporated. Do NOT over mix!
- Gently fold in the jimmies by hand.
- Fill each muffin cup ⅔ full. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan; remove to wire rack and cool completely.
- Mix sugar and butter together until creamy.
- Add vanilla bean paste and milk and continue to beat for another minute.
- If desired, add more vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract) to taste or more confectioners’ sugar until frosting reaches desired consistency.
- Frost cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with more jimmies or sprinkles of your choice.
Feel free to “like” is this REALLY my life? on Facebook. It won’t always earn you an extra entry in a giveaway but it will give you warm fuzzies.