Cream cheese is the secret ingredient that makes these easy iced spice cookies super soft and chewy. Vanilla icing makes them extra yummy!
What can I say more about these easy iced spice cookies other than they're quick, simple and full of spice cake flavor.
The crazy ingredient that makes these easy iced spice cookies so soft and chewy is cream cheese. YES! Cream cheese! I've used it in these cream cheese sugar cookies and these pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. It's rather delightful.
Speaking of surprise ingredients, have you seen the recipe for my best ever macaroni salad?
This recipe for iced spice cookies is similar to the aforementioned pumpkin chocolate chip cookies but instead of pumpkin cake mix, it uses spice cake mix. And instead of chocolate chips, these cookies are topped with an easy vanilla icing—the same icing used on my famous old-fashioned iced oatmeal cookies. It's so dang good!
Printable recipe for easy iced spice cookies below. Enjoy!
- 1 (15.25-oz) package spice cake mix
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 (8-oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 T milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter, vanilla, egg and cream cheese until fluffy (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Add cake mix and beat until combined.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto nonstick cookie sheet. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until just set.
- Cool 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Whisk together powdered sugar and milk until smooth. If too thick, add more sugar; too thin, more milk.
- Turn cookie upside down and dip in icing. Turn right-side up and allow glaze to set before storing. Store in an airtight container for up to one week.