This easy chicken tortilla soup is sure to become a family favorite thanks to simple ingredients, quick prep and crumbled tortilla chips in the bottom of your soup bowl!
Post may include affiliate links, which means if you click on a link and purchase something, you won’t pay anything extra but it will help support this blog.
I love a good chicken tortilla soup recipe especially if the ingredients list is simple and the prep is quick. This easy chicken tortilla soup totally fits that description and is totally hearty and delicious!
While I have lots of favorite tortilla-style soup recipes like this slow cooker sweet tortilla soup and this slow cooker pulled pork chili freezer meal, this one is near the top of the list thanks to all those yummy crumbled tortilla chips at the bottom of the bowl.
If you’re not a fan of ladling soup on top of tortilla chips, I forgive you and will allow you to sprinkle the chips on top. Just don’t tell me you’re leaving them out all together. Skip dessert or something but don’t skip the chips!
By the way, our family swears by On the Border chips. Our go-to are On the Border Cafe Style chips but if you love those super thin, restaurant-style tortilla chips, On the Border Cantina Thins is the bag you want to grab—and they’re on sale at Target right now!
When we’re not inhaling homemade salsa like this copycat Chili’s salsa, we love Pace Restaurant Style Original Recipe Salsa. It’s slightly less chunky than other salsa and has the perfect amount of heat for my kids.
Printable recipe for easy chicken tortilla soup below. Enjoy!
- 1 (49.5-oz) can chicken broth
- 2 (16-oz) jars salsa
- ¾ cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 can whole kernel corn
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (2.25-oz.) can sliced black olives
- 1 (12-oz.) package grilled chicken strips or 2 to 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
- Diced avocado (optional)
- Tortilla chips
- Boil broth in large pot. Add salsa, rice and onion. Simmer 20 to 30 minutes until rice is tender.
- Add chicken, olives, corn and cilantro. Cook until heated through, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Crumble tortilla chips into bowl; ladle soup over chips. Top with cheese and avocado.