This super easy homemade chicken noodle soup full of roast chicken flavor is one of the easiest homemade chicken noodle soup recipes you can make!
This is a super easy homemade chicken noodle soup recipe... but let me clarify.
By "super easy" I mean "not as easy as opening a can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup but easier than using a recipe that requires from-scratch chicken stock and the cooking and shredding of chicken breasts."
Basically this homemade chicken noodle soup is one of the easiest homemade chicken noodle soup recipes you can make. This chicken noodle soup recipe is full of yummy roast chicken flavor, chunks of tender carrots and celery, and al dente pasta noodles (whole wheat if you love whole wheat pasta as much as I do).
Feel free to tweak the amount of garlic and thyme according to taste. I think next time I make it, I will throw in a bit more salt and pepper.
I find this soup—and pretty much all soups—taste even better when served with a side of rolls like my famous dinner rolls. But you could also serve our favorite light and fluffy one-hour dinner rolls or my daughter's popular peasant bread.
You're gonna have to trust me on this one.
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 ½ tsp)
- 2 medium carrots, cut diagonally in ½-inch-thick slices
- 2 celery ribs, halved lengthwise, cut in ½-inch-thick slices
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 quarts chicken stock (or broth)
- 1 (13-oz) package whole wheat rotini
- 1 ½ cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Place a soup pot over medium heat and add oil. Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, thyme and bay leaf. Cook and stir for about 6 minutes until vegetables are tender but before onion brownes.
- Slowly pour in chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the noodles and simmer for 7 to 9 minutes or until al dente.
- Fold in chicken and continue to simmer for 2 to 3 minutes until heated through; season with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf and sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 228Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 545mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 19g
Here are some other delicious homemade soup recipes perfect for chillier weather.