This year I'm hosting Thanksgiving dinner and you better believe these make-ahead mashed potatoes are on the menu. In fact, they're in the crock pot and ready to go...six days before Thanksgiving.
I'm looking forward to having Thanksgiving dinner in our home but I don't want to be so stressed from all the prep work I 'm too exhausted to enjoy the party. I'm all for recipes I can make ahead of time. In fact, I'm considering making my famous homemade dinner rolls this weekend and freezing them. Anyone else making their rolls early?
These slow cooker make-head mashed potatoes are so yummy you'll totally lick the beater after making them.
I so totally did...and then ran my finger around the inside of the bowl too.
I prefer using red potatoes because they have a thinner skin. I love leaving the skin on for flavor, texture and those extra nutrients—and I love not peeling five pounds of potatoes. But if reds aren't your fave, feel free to use whatever potatoes you prefer when making a mashed potato side dish.
Everyone who has tries this recipe loves it...and loves making one less dish on Thanksgiving Day. I'm pretty sure you'll become a fan as soon as the mashed potatoes are in the fridge and you realized you don't have to cook the turkey for another two or three days.
Printable recipe for make-ahead mashed potatoes below.
- 5 lbs red potatoes, washed & quartered*
- 1 (8-oz) package cream cheese
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 2 T butter
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan or stock pot and add a dash of salt. Cover with water.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to a rolling boil and cook until potatoes are tender and fall apart when poked with a fork. Drain.
- Place potatoes in the bowl of a large mixer. Mash until fairly smooth and no large lumps remain.
- Add cream cheese, sour cream, onion powder, salt, pepper and egg whites. Mix until smooth. (I like to whip mine for about 20 seconds on a bit higher speed.) Cool slightly.
- Place a removable liner in your crock pot or slow cooker and lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place potatoes in liner and dot top with butter.
- Refrigerate overnight or up to one week.
- Remove mashed potatoes from fridge about 3½ hours before you plan to serve them.
- Place in crock pot or slow cooker and cook on low for 3 hours, stirring once or twice. (They can stay on low another ½ hour or so.)
Feel free to "like" is this REALLY my life? on Facebook. It won't always earn you an extra entry in a giveaway but it will give you warm fuzzies.