The first thing that comes to mind when I think of the first day of school is not chocolate chip Twix cookies (gasp!) but all the things I’ll accomplish while my children are gone for seven hours. And then I remember how I thought that last year and was sadly mistaken.
But the second thing that comes to mind is cookies. Cookies are the perfect back-to-school treat for the entire family…especially me because I have all that time to eat them before everyone arrives home.
Wanting to try something new (as usual) and jonesing for my favorite candy bar (Twix), I combined the basic dough recipe from these chocolate sprinkle cookies with a huge handful of chopped Twix candy bar.
Double oh my if you eat one (or more) hot from the oven.
These were a hit, which pretty much makes me the best mom ever. For now.
Printable recipe for chocolate chip Twix cookies below.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2½ cups old fashioned oats
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1½ to 2 cups coarsely chopped Twix candy bar
- Cream together butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy (about 2 to 3 minutes). Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until thoroughly combined.
- Place the oats in a blender or food processor and blend until fine. Combine the ground oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Add dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until combined. Fold in chocolate chips and candy bar pieces. Cover and refrigerate dough for at least two hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll the dough into 1½-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until just barely set. Cookies will continue to set once removed from the oven. Let cool 2 minutes before transferring to wire rack..
Here are a few other cookies you may want to bake to kick off the school year:
Feel free to “like” is this REALLY my life? on Facebook. It won’t always earn you an extra entry in a giveaway but it will give you warm fuzzies.