These carrot cake sandwich cookies combine a decadent cake mix cookie with a delicious homemade cream cheese frosting for the perfect handheld dessert!
I'm not sure why they're all fruity cookies when I'm a chocoholic; I feel like I need to remedy the situation and soon.
When I saw a box of Duncan Hines Decadent Carrot Cake Mix on the store shelves and noticed a recipe for carrot cake cookies on the side, I thought of a classic carrot cake with its also decadent cream cheese frosting and knew I had to pair the two for carrot cake sandwich cookies.
I'm so very glad I did.
The cookies in these carrot cake sandwich cookies may taste like a mix between spice cake and carrot cake, but it doesn't matter. That creamy homemade cream cheese frosting brings the cookies together in a pretty perfect way. I mean, we did manage to finish them off in less than 24 hours...
When making sandwich cookies, I always use my trusted medium scoop for the dough so I have relatively equal cookies in shape and size. You could always use a small scoop and make bite-size carrot cake sandwich cookies, but that's just more work baking and frosting. I'm too lazy for that.
Printable recipe for carrot cake sandwich cookies below. Enjoy!
- 1 package Duncan Hines® Decadent Carrot Cake Mix
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- ½ cup pecans
- ¼ cup raisins (optional but not optional if you love raisins)
- 4 oz. low-fat cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 T milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Open carrot and raisins pouch and add to 1 ¼ cups HOT tap water; let stand about 5 minutes.
- Beat butter until light and fluffy. Add cake mix, eggs, oats, nuts and soaked carrot and raisin mixture (including any unabsorbed water). Beat until just combined.
- Spoon heaping tablespoons of batter onto cookie sheets. Bake for 12 minutes or until set.
- Allow to cool at least 2 minutes on cookie sheet before transferring to a wire rack. Cool completely before frosting.
- Beat butter, cream cheese and vanilla until smooth. Add powdered sugar and beat until thoroughly combined. Add milk until desired consistency. You want it spreadable but not too thin!
- Spread desired amount of frosting onto bottom of one cookie; top with second cookie. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 342Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 145mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 4g
Here are those other cake mix cookies I mentioned earlier. The lemon ones are my favorite!