This post is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group® and Hillshire Farm, but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #nohasslesavorymeal http://my-disclosur.es/OBsstV
Caramelized apples and onions are paired with smoked sausage and sharp white cheddar cheese for an easy “gourmet” grilled cheese sandwich.
I love celebrating National Grilled Cheese Month by creating grilled cheese sandwiches that appear to be gourmet but in reality are easy and family friendly. After all, I’m a busy mom of four kids ages 8 to 18—who has time for multi-course meals?
I like to pack as many food groups into one dish as possible like last year’s meatball marinara grilled cheese. That thing had protein (Italian meatballs), vegetables (marinara), carbs (bread) and dairy (cheese). And it didn’t require silverware. Even better.
This year’s grilled cheese sandwich—the caramelized apple, onion and smoked sausage grilled cheese—features similar food groups: protein (smoked sausage), fruit (apples), carbs (bread) and dairy (cheese).
And once again, no silverware required. That means you can throw ’em together and then grab and go if you’re between music lessons and dance practice.
Picky eaters? No worries. Simply leave out the caramelized apples and onions.
You wouldn’t believe how yummy smoked sausage is when you pair it with sharp white cheddar.
You should be able to assemble your sandwiches in 30 minutes or less, but if you can spare no more than 20 minutes, go with a variation using scrambled eggs and cheddar cheese. Just scramble your eggs, slice and pan fry the sausage, and then assemble your grilled cheese sandwich with eggs and smoked sausage placed between slices of cheddar cheese.
Nothing like a hearty breakfast sandwich for families on the go!
Speaking of smoked sausage, I used Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage in this recipe and found it had the right amount of smoked flavor and perfect texture for the combination of ingredients. It really made this caramelized apple, onion and smoked sausage grilled cheese sandwich pop! (And I’m not talking about the casing.)
I picked up Hillshire Farm smoked sausage along with the granny smith apples, yellow onion, Kroger sharp white cheddar and cracked wheat sourdough bread at my local Smith’s (the Kroger of Utah). It’s honestly my favorite place to grocery shop because our local store has a sushi counter.
Yes, fresh sushi. Any day of the week.
But back to the Hillshire Farm sausage. Between 3/30 and 4/19/16 you can pick up two Hillshire Farm sausages for only $5 while supplies last.
I bought the smoked sausage and polska kielbasa during my last Kroger/Smith’s visit. I may pop in to pick up two more to keep on hand for last-minute breakfast-for-dinner (aka “brinner”) weeknight meals. Need more inspiration? You can find all kinds of yummy Hillshire Farm recipes online.
Printable recipe for caramelized apple, onion and smoked sausage grilled cheese sandwich below. Enjoy!
- 2 T butter plus more for spreading on sliced bread
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 (14-oz) Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage, sliced ¼" thick
- 1 (6-oz) package sliced sharp white cheddar cheese
- Cracked wheat sourdough bread (or your favorite sandwich bread)
- Melt 2 T butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until they being to soften and turn golden brown.
- Add apples and reduce heat to medium low. Saute until softened, approximately 4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add sliced sausage to pan and cook approximately 6 to 9 minutes. Remove from pan and place on a plate lined with paper towels to remove excess grease.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Spread butter on one side of sliced bread.
- Layer ingredients in pan in following order: one slice bread (butter side down), cheese, sausage, apples & onion mixture, cheese, one slice bread (butter side up).
- Cook until golden brown; flip and cook on second side until golden brown and cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Don’t forget to try last year’s National Grilled Cheese Month grilled cheese sandwich!