Caprese stuffed avocado is one of the best ways to eat caprese salad with its creamy mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, and balsamic glaze atop ripe avocado.
Post may include affiliate links, which means if you click on a link and purchase something, you won’t pay anything extra but it will help support this blog.
I don’t know how I stumbled across this caprese stuffed avocado recipe but I’m so very glad I did! And so are Nathan and our friends who joined us for Nathan’s birthday dinner earlier in the month.
Also on the menu were these mashed potatoes and steak topped with a creamy Gorgonzola sauce that was to die for! Of course now we do the sous vide thing—if you haven’t tried steak via sous vide, you’re missing out. For reals. And I’m a huge fan of my famous cheesy potatoes or Instant Pot mashed potatoes as a starchy side.
I’m here to tell you caprese stuffed avocado is up there when it comes to my favorite salads. (You can call it a salad, right?) It features avocados filled with mozzarella pearls and cherry tomatoes that have been marinated in a basil garlic olive oil. Top it off with a drizzle of balsamic glaze and it’s pretty much heaven.
I didn’t change much from the original recipe, though I did find the 1/2 cup of basil garlic olive oil a bit much. I probably could have gotten away with closer to 1/4 cup and had some leftover for dipping French bread.
I doubled the amount of caprese salad I scooped onto the avocados once I’d taken the photos. It helped even out the avocado-Caprese ratio. But feel free to use as little or as much of the Caprese salad as you’d like.
Also, the balsamic glaze I use is one I purchased from a local Italian cafe but you can find it online (this balsamic glaze is fabulous) and in a few local grocery or gourmet foods stores. Once you use it on this, you’ll want to use it on everything you can—pizza, bruschetta, panini. It’s so dang good!
You can find the original recipe for caprese stuffed avocado on Laylita’s Recipes. You can also find all kinds of yummy dishes, many of which are Ecuadorian inspired. I’m telling you, you’ll want to pin pretty much all of them!
Basil Garlic Olive Oil
- 2 cups packed basil leaves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pint red or yellow (or both) cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- 1 (8-oz) package mozzarella pearls
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup basil garlic olive oil
- 4 avocados
- 4 to 6 T balsamic glaze
- Place basil, olive oil and garlic in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Note: Refrigerate leftovers. Let sit at room temperature 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Place tomatoes and mozzarella pearls in a small bowl and toss with 1/2 cup basil garlic olive oil. Use immediately or refrigerate. If refrigerated, remove from refrigerator 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Cut avocados in half lengthwise. Remove pits and carefully peel.
- Place peeled avocado halves on serving plate. Spoon caprese filling into avocado halves. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and serve immediately.
FOLLOW HALF-SCRATCHED ON INSTAGRAM (@half_scratched) and share the recipes you're whipping up in the kitchen. Don't forget the #HALFSCRATCHED hashtag so we can see what you've made!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 344 Total Fat: 30g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 20g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 95mg Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 6g Protein: 7g