I Am Brave and Beautiful
A beauty movement sweeping the globe.
Colbie Caillat started it with her recent song “Try.” My friend Megan of Brassy Apple wanted to push this movement along and invited women from all over to share what they looked like without makeup. I couldn’t wait to participate.
I love these lyrics from Colbie’s song:
Take your make-up off
Let your hair down
Take a breath
Look into the mirror, at yourself
Don’t you like you?
Cause I like you
Megan and her friend Cobi of Peacefrom6pieces are the team behind this project. Their vision included creating a video inspired by “Try.” The talent of Robbins Creative helped make it happen. Watch the video and see these beautiful and brave women.
If you look closely, you’ll see some familiar faces.
I have joined over 100 blogging women from various backgrounds, religions, ethnicities, ages, shapes and sizes who have made the decision to be BRAVE and BEAUTIFUL. You can join the movement—and I hope you do—by sharing what you look like without makeup. Snap a photo and upload to Instagram; include the #IamBraveAndBeautiful hashtag. (You can search the hashtag to see everyone who is participating.) If you tag it with #ColbieTRY, we might be able to get Colbie Caillat’s attention. After all, she was the inspiration for the project.
Are you brave and beautiful? I am…and so are my girls.
What the world usually sees (all dolled up).
What the world needs to see (au naturel).
I remember when Madison, almost 17, was little and would watch me put on my makeup in the morning. One day she asked me, “Mommy, why do you wear makeup?” I replied something along the lines of, “It makes me look better, makes me prettier.” Her response? “You don’t need to wear makeup to look pretty. You’re already pretty! And I’m not going to wear makeup when I grow up. I think it’s silly.”
Fast forward a dozen years or so and my girls wear makeup more often than I do. But on the days they don’t, they’re still absolutely stunning. And I tell them they’re beautiful—and amazing and intelligent—as often as I can, for I fear the world will have them think otherwise. Though I am fairly comfortable in my skin (with or without makeup), my girls are navigating the crazy waters of high school, mean girls, dumb boys and all. As their mom, I’m trying my best to arm them with a self-confidence that will help them feel brave and beautiful no matter the challenges they may face.
Now it’s your turn to join the movement.
You can start by clicking around—it’s a blog hop! Below are more brave and beautiful women sharing their natural beauty—and their hearts—with you. Some share stories; most get personal. Being brave and beautiful isn’t always easy but we gathered our courage and did it anyway. We hope as you click around (and hopefully pin various posts) you will feel the project’s importance.
Let it empower and encourage you.
YOU are brave and beautiful.
*** Blog hops often have glitches the first day. If a link doesn’t work, click on the “home” button for each site or search the blog name. Their post should pop right up. Links will be updated as soon as possible. ***
1. BrassyApple 2. Peace from 6 Pieces 3. Is this Really My Life 4. Among the Young 5. Love Me Dani Marie 6. Sweet Charli 7. Kim Orlandini 8. XO, Ashton Tilton 9. She Calls Me Mama Leisha 10. Raising Memories – Canada 11. A Little Tipsy 12. Amy Cornwell 13. A girl and a glue gun 14. My Craftily Ever After 15. Maybe I Will 16. WhipperBerry 17. Paging SuperMom 18. All Things Thrifty 19. Ashlee Marie 20. The Project Girl
21. One Little Momma 22. Entirely Eventful Day 23. Diary of a Brown Eyed Girl 24. Tips from a Typical Mom 25. Utah Sweet Savings 26. Flats to Flip Flops 27. One Krieger Chick 28. What Meegan Makes 29. Simply Kierste 30. Live to be Inspired 31. HoneyBear Lane 32. Pretty Providence 33. Ma Nouvelle Mode – in FRANCE 34. MomEntity 35. Serger Pepper – in ITALY 36. Kiki and Company 37. Girl Loves Glam 38. Thrive
39. The Potters Place 40. Crafting in the Rain 41. Cooking With Ruthie 42. Delineate Your Dwelling 43. The Pennington Point 44. Bakerette 45. The Happy Scraps 46. Shannon Baird Photography 47. Tried and Tasty 48. Lionesses at the Gate 49. Fry Sauce and Grits 50. Lolly Jane 51. That’s What Che Said 52. Sugar Bee Crafts 53. Your HomeBased Mom 54. Happiness is Homemade 55. The Crafted Sparrow 56. R&R Workshop 57. I Should Be Mopping the Floor 58. Sassy Steals
59. Let’s Eat Grandpa 60. Being Spiffy 61. Sumo’s Sweet Stuff 62. Ginger Snap Crafts 63. Bless This Mess 64. Apronista 65. Dreaming About Someday 66. Frenchie 67. Tastefully Frugal 68. Four Marrs and One Venus 69. Your Sister Circle 70. Over the Big Moon 71. See Vanessa Craft 72. Infarrantly Creative 73. Family StoryTelling
74. Albion Gould 75. Life as Mrs. Larson 76. Tried and True 77. Play.Party.Pin. 78. Bite of Delight 79. Ink Happi 80. ObSEUSSed 81. U Create 82. My Mommy Style 83. Find it Make it Love it 84. The Contractor Chronicles 85. Novae Clothing 86. Mommy Makes Things 87. At Home with Sweet T 88. We Like to Learn As We Go 89. House for Five 90. Organize and Decorate Everything 91. Sassy Southern Gurl 92. The Creative Mom 93. Keep Moving Forward with Me
94. The Benson Street 95. Mom 4 Real 96. Sowdering About 97. illistyle 98. The Crafty Blog Stalker 99. A Fiery Red Life 100. Cupcakes & Crowbars 101. One Sweet Appetite 102. My DayLights 103. Restless Risa
104. Sypsie Designs 105. Vintage Mother 106. Like Mother Like Daughter 107. 30 Handmade Days 108. Queen B and Me 109. Apples by Ashley 110. Boutique Cafe – in CANADA 111. Just My Little Mess 112. Bombshell Bling 113. Sarah Tyau 114. Taradara Make it 115. Capturing Joy 116. Ivory Lime Photography 117. Jenkins Kid Farm 118. Free Time Frolics 119. Bella Storia 120. Dana Ohlsen Photography
You can slso follow our Bravery and Beauty PINTEREST board for more inspiration!
Feel free to “like” is this REALLY my life? on Facebook. It won’t always earn you an extra entry in a giveaway but it will give you warm fuzzies.