Baking a batch of blueberry zucchini bread is one of the best ways to use all that fresh garden zucchini and sweet, summer-ripened blueberries.
I would be lying if I said blueberry zucchini bread was my favorite way to use all that homegrown zucchini because if I had a choice, it would be frosted zucchini brownies every time. But since I'm not very good at eating my fruits and vegetables, blueberry zucchini bread is a tasty Plan B.
I'm pretty sure a slice of blueberry zucchini bread isn't a full serving of fruits and/or vegetables, so I like to have at least two. And the fact I like to substitute applesauce for half the oil—and Splenda for half the sugar if I'm feeling extra healthy—makes me feel even less guilty about indulging in this delicious quick bread.
The recipe calls for baking the bread in four mini loaf pans, and it's true, mini loaves are the perfect gifting size. But sometimes you have to bake them in two full-size pans because the only gifting you're doing is gifting this bread right into your mouth.
Note: A large cookie scoop is awesome for dispersing batter evenly among loaf pans.
Printable recipe for blueberry zucchini bread below. Enjoy!
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 T cinnamon
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour 4 mini loaf pans or 2 regular loaf pans.
- Beat eggs, oil, vanilla and sugar in a large bowl. Fold in zucchini.
- Add flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon; mix until thoroughly combined. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Spread batter evenly into loaf pans. Bake 50 minutes for mini loaves or 1 hour 20 minutes for regular loaves or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 20 minutes in pans before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.
For a healthier bread, try substituting ½ cup of the oil with a ½ cup unsweetened applesauce and/or 1 cup of sugar with 1 cup of Splenda.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 277Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 169mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 24gProtein: 3g