A couple weeks ago I hosted a baby shower for my baby sister (she is nine years younger than me, so I can say that). It was on a weeknight in the evening so we decided to do a dessert buffet. One of the sweet treats I made were these black and white cupcakes that used a new chocolate cupcake recipe and my favorite vanilla bean frosting recipe. The combination was delicious!
This was the first time I used espresso powder in a chocolate cake recipe and I'm sold. It made for a deeper, richer chocolate cake...what's not to love?
Later this week I'll post the recipe for the homemade funfetti cupcakes and mini cookie pizzas also served at the baby shower. Also on the table that night were my now famous (or infamous due to the amount of butter) salted caramel butter bars and peanut butter swirl brownies. Mmm...
Printable recipe for black and white cupcakes below.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cocoa
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
- Mini chocolate chips, chocolate sprinkles or chocolate shavings (optional)
- 3 to 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 tsp vanilla bean paste (more to taste)
- 2 T milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder. Whisk to combine.
- Add milk, oil, eggs and vanilla and beat on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and slowly add boiling water. Beat on medium-high speed for 2 minutes.
- Fill each cupcake liner ¾ full and bake 12 to 15 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Let cool 5 minutes in pan before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
- Mix sugar and butter together until creamy.
- Add vanilla bean paste and milk and continue to beat for another minute.
- If desired, add more vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract) to taste or more confectioners’ sugar until frosting reaches desired consistency.
- Frost cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with chocolate chips.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 489Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 205mgCarbohydrates: 87gFiber: 1gSugar: 75gProtein: 3g