Busy weeknights call for yummy recipes like this easy vegetarian white bean chili. Bell pepper, onion, and corn make it extra hearty!
Post may include affiliate links, which means if you click on a link and purchase something, you won’t pay anything extra but it will help support this blog.
White bean chicken chili is one of my favorite types of chili. I love the creaminess combined with the beans, chicken, and green chilies. Let’s not forget the yummy white chili seasoning!
But my second oldest daughter is vegetarian and so I try to accommodate her choice by cooking vegetarian meals more often than I would have if she were still an omnivore. We’ve tried a few vegetarian casseroles and dishes but this easy vegetarian white bean chili is definitely one of our favorites.
While I’m sure you could take your favorite white bean chili and simply leave out the chicken, you may want to try this white bean vegetarian chili. It’s packed with lots of flavor and lots of textures thanks to two different types of beans, chopped bell pepper and onion, and sweet corn kernels.
The original recipe for this vegetarian white chili called for only white beans, but I wanted to mix things up a bit! I switched out some of the white beans for pinto beans and it was the best decision. For reals.
In fact, next time I make this easy vegetarian white bean chili, I may do a combination of Great Northern beans, pinto beans, and cannellini beans. Give me all the white beans!
Yes, pinto beans aren’t technically white but they’re light enough that they totally work. And the flavor is delish.
The recipe for this white bean vegetarian chili also calls for green bell pepper but I prefer red so that’s what I used. I’m crazy like that!
If you don’t have or can’t find white chili seasoning (the package often reads “white chicken chili”), you can use a combination of spices including ground cloves, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. I’ve noted those amounts in the recipe. Also, make sure you use a solid stock pot like this Cuisinart 6-quart stock pot so you can both saute and simmer in it without worrying about burning your ingredients!
IngredientsYield: 8 servings
- 2 cups chopped red or green bell pepper
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 (15-oz) cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15-oz) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (4-oz) can diced green chilies
- 2 (8-oz) packages reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 packages white chicken chili seasoning*
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow or white onion
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
* Substitution for white chicken chili seasoning
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 T chili powder
- 4 T cumin
- 4 tsp garlic powder
- Heat a bit of olive oil in a 6-quart stock pot. Saute the garlic, bell pepper, and onion for around 5 minutes or just until tender.
- Add vegetable broth, cream cheese, white chili seasoning (or substitute seasonings), and green chilies. Cook for around 10 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and corn and season with salt and pepper. Cook an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until ingredients are heated through. Serve topped with your favorite toppings (e.g., sour cream, avocado, shredded cheese, olives). Refrigerate leftovers for up to 1 week.
FOLLOW HALF-SCRATCHED ON INSTAGRAM (@half_scratched) and share the recipes you're whipping up in the kitchen. Don't forget the #HALFSCRATCHED hashtag so we can see what you've made!
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 408 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 40mg Sodium: 1664mg Carbohydrates: 55g Fiber: 12g Sugar: 10g Protein: 18g